I'm still getting used to compliments. Call it low self-esteem issues or social anxiety, it's probably a stew of both.
Someone should invent a better phrase than "thank you". I feel I've over used it so many times that I've started saying it in different languages just to make it interesting...Gracias, Grazie, Danke schön, Dank u, Merci beaucoup, Shrukan gazilan, Shukriya, Tack, M goi, Puno hvala, Toda raba, Arigato gozaimasu (gozaimashita). It seems wrong to use the same phrase that you use when the cashier at Target finishes a monetary transaction with people who take the time and spend their personal energy just to come and hear you sing a few songs.
Every time a person comes up to me and compliments the music that is created through this shy, often blushed body of mine what I want to say back to them is, "you have no idea what it means to me that you came tonight to be my musical and emotional lover. Now let's hug for a minute and you can tell me your secrets like I told you mine." That's the kind of connection I like to feel with people when I play...it's a type of distant intimacy that is not easily replicated. But that shit is creepy so I don't say that. Instead I smile, shake hands, hug when I can and when they're receptive to it, and say, "Thank you."
I guess my thanks is shown in shows...I try and have kick ass ones. I sing whole-heartedly and try to present myself as vulnerable and naked as I can muster.
So, until some one does come up with a better way I'll say, "Thank you" and when you're at a show and you hear it coming from my lips, know what I mean is, "I love you."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment